Monday, September 6, 2010

Tearing Down the Walls

July 8, 2010 by Ashley Gonzalez

Have you ever noticed that when you pray to God in the morning and allow peace to completely settle within you, your day goes much smoother?

When I woke up this morning I had a little chit chat with daddy God and let him know my desire for today and my complete trust in His power to make everything happen.

Maybe it was just us, or because it is the end of the week, but for the most part today went a lot smoother. They cooperated a lot more with the activities we planned and with the tutors and us, the volunteers. There is a girl who has become really close to me and was crying a bit on and off today because she said she was “triste”, or sad that we were leaving. She has come to love us and respect us and does not want us to leave. After that a few of the other kids asked why she was crying and when I explained to them we we’re leaving quite a few of them had these looks of surprise and confusion on their faces.

While most of them speak English fluently as a second language, the rest speak Spanish whenever possible as a comfortable habit, leaving 2 new girls who just came from the Dominican Republic to struggle in the English world. But in the realistic news that in two days we would be back at home as they were getting ready for bed seemed to crush all of them. Despite language barriers, they all understood of our departure.

It is so awesome to see happiness light up their faces and pride of their good work pump up their day. Yes, there is a tiring amount of reprimanding, scolding, teaching, and rebuilding being done, but there are more than a handful of joyful moments in all of the chaos that we are reminded why we are here.

Today one of the team and I were leading praise time for the middle school kids. After a ridiculous amount of time spent on hushing everyone and trying to gain some control my teammate closed the bible, and got up, and with what I mistook as giving up, actually turned around and shared his story of his faith. His past, his lack of direction and purpose, and the hope he had found. He openly and loudly preached his story, which is now God’s glorious story. I was fighting back hot tears at the courage and leadership shining through him. But not everything comes with a fantasy ending.

The kids were disruptive still and loud and rude and disrespectful to what he was saying. They acted as if they could care less. Which caused the both of us to fight back some serious tears and control all the emotions raging inside of us. Their parents came to pick them up and as we gained control over ourselves we stayed silent. I gave him the biggest hug I could because my brother, my brother in Christ, showed so much love and compassion in his actions that my heart couldn’t help but break and then swell with joy and pride for him. As we chatted not too long after, we both agreed that maybe we planted seeds and even if we didn’t see it we hoped that his decision to be open with them would help some day, in some way.

And it was in that moment I felt the strongest bond in this place and for these people. My heart reached out as we walked across the streets and wove through a community so undeniably rich. Not in money or clothing, but the soil here is so rich, ready for righteousness and goodness, faith, joy, and life to be planted. We may not be here to see it grow, yet I trust that we are doing our part in Gods plan for this place and these people. And that He will have them rise in His name.

No comments: