Friday, September 10, 2010

A Remarkable Impression

*Note* For the security of the people mentioned in this blog, the student has been named "M" and and the volunteer, "D".

“M was so moved by the volunteer, D, who came last week,” said M's mom about her 7th grade son. “D gave M his personal Bible - who does that?” she continued, noting that she was very pleased with the program. “I am a single mom so when someone is in your child’s path to influence him in the right way, there are no words. I am just blessed.”

M's mom said D gave her son his phone number to keep in touch. Friday was the last day for the volunteers from Briarwood Church in Birmingham, Alabama, and M's mom says it was particularly hard for M to say good-bye. “M stayed past the time he was supposed to stay at Exodus. That day he didn’t even want to eat. When he came home, he cried.”

This year is M’s first experience with Exodus’ Summer Achievement Program. He attended Exodus’ After-School tutoring for two years in a row – taking a year off in 2009. “I thought my son didn’t need the program, because he does well academically, but he does,” said his mom. “Last year, he would come home late after school because he liked to hang out with kids I don’t know. I was worried sick.”

“What I do know is that M can easily follow the wrong crowd; not because he is a bad kid, but because he wants to please,” his mom explained. “Please sign him up for next year. I don’t have any money, but I know you can help.”

No comments: