Monday, September 13, 2010

Highlights from One Volunteer

"When I signed up for this mission trip, I wasn't really sure what to expect. I knew that I would be working with kids in the city, which was really exciting for me. Other than that, I really didn't know what to expect.

I am from Bel Air, Maryland, which is near Baltimore. I chose NYC because there was a need for people there, and because I have a great love for the city.

When I was participating with Operation Exodus, I helped teach Kindergarten. There was one boy in pre-school in our class, and during reading time I read with him because he was not as far advanced in reading as the other kids in the class. At the beginning of the week, he struggled with even simple words and I had to help him a lot.

By Thursday, he had shown a huge difference in his abilities. On Friday, I told him that he was doing awesome and how excited I was for him. He looked at me and said, "I can read better because you helped me." This was just amazing for me to hear, and I will always remember that as a highlight of my trip.

Another favorite memory of my trip was with a youth group I roomed with from South Carolina, Cornerstone. It was about the fourth night we were there, and the whole team met on the terrace of the hostel. That night was our night of encouragement, and as we sat and ate delicious pastries, everyone had something encouraging to say. It was awesome to see how much they all cared about each other (and me), and how they were willing to take the time and compliment everyone. This time with them really helped me to connect with the team and see God's love pouring out from others.

The challenging thing about this ministry, for me, was becoming so close to the kids in my class and then having to say goodbye to them. I became very close to a few of them, and I think about and pray for them often.

I definitely came home from this trip feeling closer to God. I learned on this trip the power of prayer, how important it is for us to do, and how God can really answer. The final, but very important thing that I learned, was how important it is for me to have a selfless attitude when serving others. It may seem obvious when you think about it, but acting it out is very crucial.
Summing it up, I had an absolutely wonderful week in New York City at Operation Exodus, and I would greatly enjoy serving there again if the opportunity arose. "

***If you have stories like this you'd like to share, please email them to Bobbi.Jo.Brooks@mtw.org or Stephanie.Hughes@mtw.org We'd love to hear from you!***

No comments: