Friday, August 6, 2010

Reflections from Julie Burke, a volunteer from North Carolina

"My name is Julie Burke and my church just returned from NYC where we were working with Operation Exodus for the last week of July.

I have been a teacher for the last 20 years and I am the mother of 3, so I felt pretty confident that I would be able to handle whatever I needed to do on this mission trip. God sent me here to humble me into dependence on Him. Our pastor described the first couple of days like trying to take a sip from a fire hose. Learning names, walking kids across busy city streets and learning the schedule and procedures were very difficult. At the end of Monday and Tuesday I felt inadequate and discouraged.

Each night when we returned to the hostel our group would meet and talk about the day. Our focus those first two nights was on the fruits of the spirit. I prayed and asked God for peace. God showed up for me Wednesday morning through Ashley - the director. She gave me a quick word of encouragement before our field trip that day, and God's peace came over me. I realized that my adequacy was not what mattered here. God was at work despite my sense of failure, and He is more than adequate. I was able to do my job the rest of the week and leave the results to Him.

I left the week feeling tired, "hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair." I was able to understand that verse in a new, much more real way in NYC. We really do "have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us."

No comments: